The desire to study in the United Kingdom keep growing among Africans, this is not surprising as the country proves to offer better education and better learning environments for its students.
This doesn’t come without a price as it costs much to have an education here. Report has it that the number of Nigerians studying in the United Kingdom (UK) rose from 13,020 in the 2019/2020 academic session to 21,305 in the 2020/2021 academic session.
Also, it worthy to note that Studying in UK for free is actually a dream come true. But unfortunately, quality education comes with value. It does not come for free. However, you can apply for scholarships to decrease your financial burden. Study Abroad Scholarships for colleges are a boon to international students willing to Study in UK. Although there are no Tuition Free Universities in UK, there are many private and government scholarships for international students in UK. If you want to apply for a scholarship, here is the list of scholarships (fully funded) to study in UK
The University Of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the leading universities in the United Kingdom, the institution offers several scholarship programs which include:
The scheme aims to provide further academic training for doctoral students whose research studies have been affected by conflict.
About the Sanctuary Scholarships
Our Sanctuary Scholarships scheme offers financial and welfare support to those who have been unable to either begin or continue their doctoral work due to conflict in their home country to come to the University of Edinburgh to continue their research studies.
What does the scheme cover?
The scheme includes funded visits, fully-funded PhD positions and access to supervision across the following subject areas:
|Engineering||Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, General Engineering, Mechanical Engineering||College of Science and Engineering|
|Life Sciences||Biological Sciences||College of Science and Engineering|
|Physical Sciences||Chemistry, Computing and Informatics, Data Science, Earth, Environmental and Ecological Sciences, Geography, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics & Astronomy||College of Science and Engineering|
|Veterinary Medicine||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine|
The availability of funding is dependent on discipline and demand.
Register your interest
You must hold a university degree in one of the subject areas listed above, and meet our English language entrance requirements. There are no deadlines for applications and allocation will be based on need. Interested candidates should complete the enquiry form below.
Please note that Ukrainian applicants are encouraged to apply to the UK Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme, among other routes to come to the UK.
University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield offer £2,000–£2,500 scholarships to international students depending on their course. They also offer 50 scholarships worth 50% of your tuition fees for each year (subject to a 60% average) of your undergraduate degree.
Visit their country pages for more information about country-specific scholarships and funding opportunities.
The University of Sheffield welcome scholarship applications from high-achieving international students with excellent academic results and potential.
International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023
Offer of 75 scholarships worth 50% of your tuition fees for each year (subject to a 60% average) of your undergraduate degree. Visit the country pages for more information about country-specific scholarships and funding opportunities.
- Your programme must be scheduled to commence at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2023.
- You must receive an offer for a course studied in full at the University of Sheffield. All undergraduate degree courses are eligible with the exceptions of Medicine (A100/A101) and Dentistry (A200).
- For tuition fee purposes you must be self-funded and eligible to pay the overseas tuition fee.
- You must not be a sponsored student*.
- You must enter a degree programme at the University of Sheffield in programme year 1 or year 2.
- For scholarship purposes all MArch programmes are considered as postgraduate taught programmes and are not eligible for this or any other undergraduate scholarship.
- The University of Sheffield reserves the right to review and change scholarship provision.
This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful. A panel of senior members of staff will select the strongest applications and will be looking for the following:
- Applicant has provided a clear rationale for applying for a course at the University of Sheffield.
- Applicant has clearly articulated future ambitions, these goals relate to the degree they have applied for.
- Applicant has a strong academic profile.
- You must commence your studies at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2023.
- The International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023 is limited to one award per person.
- The International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023 cannot be awarded in conjunction with any of the following scholarships:
- International Baccalaureate Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023
- NCUK Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023
- GEMS Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023
- International School of Choueifat Merit Scholarship 2023
- DPS Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2023
- International Undergraduate Scholarship 2023
- NCUK Undergraduate Scholarship 2023
Click here for more information.
University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham offers a variety of scholarships across many courses and faculties. Their new regional excellence awards cover a contribution toward tuition fees in the first year of your course and are available for high-achieving students who will put their degrees to great use in their careers.
The University also offer sports scholarships for successful sportsmen.
Click here for more information.
Durham University offers The International Excellence Scholarship worth £2000 for the first year of study and are awarded to international students of outstanding academic ability.
All international students enrolled in a Bachelor or Master’s level Mathematics and Statistics degree are automatically considered for the scholarship. So unless you are applying for Mathematics and Statistics program, you will need to make a scholarship application to be considered.
Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards
The following scholarships and bursaries are either funded by the University, through partnerships with external organisations or through generous donations from alumni and friends of the University.
Please select the relevant section to explore the potential funding opportunities.