How to Start Commercial Pig Farming Business in Nigeria
Agriculture and Food Business is yet one of the most lucrative business ventures currently in Nigeria.
I want you to know that Pig Farming Business is one of the most profitable business in the Livestock Farming Industry.
I will do well to analyse how you can make good profits by starting and running a Pig FARM Successfully.
Food and Agriculture is lucrative because the population of the world is on the increase, and there is a corresponding increase in the demand for Food, right before anyone thinks about getting cloths and luxury stuffs, they will always think of how to get Food first!
There are so many reasons why Pig Meat (Pork) is preferred over other meat, its is a white meat and also it is highly palatable.
Now to the Business, Pigs are very prolific, and this as been one of the reasons why they are very profitable.
Before we continue on how to start Pig Farming Business, let me show you why a lot of people want to venture into Pig Farming business today and why you should be one of them;
- Pigs are very prolific (They produce high number of piglets , even up to 15 at once).
- Pigs are big animals (They have the ability to convert food substance into meat faster and grow well).
- Their gestation period is 114days, (Short enough for good business growth).
- Pig Farming requires little capital to start, a small pig farm is therefore, affordable.
- Pig Meat (Pork) is a good source of animal protein, therefore there is a good demand for it.
- The Salvage value is high ( This means, Old Pigs can be sold at a good price in the Market.
- Pig Farming over the years, as proven to be one of the Agric Business ventures that has high yield for Investors
- Pig are Polyestrous animals (They can be bred at any time of the year for production).
- Apart from Pork, there are so many products derivable from Pig as a livestock Animal.
- Pig Feeds are easily available ad accessible, some are even waste products of other factories and industries, therefore bringing about a recycling process and giving no room for waste.
So now let’s look fully into How to start Pig Farming Business in Nigeria and make good profits;
I have a network of Pig Farmers that we dialogue together every now and then, on the potentials in Pig Business, challenges and how it can solved and the promising future of Pig Business in Nigeria.
I want you to know that, with little capital, you can start pig farming, 100,000 to 200,000 is enough to start a small scale pig farming business, but for a large scale, then i suggest 1million upward.
Also Read : How to start Snail Farming in NIGERIA
A fully grown Pig goes for as high as N30,000 depending on the weight. Now Imagine for a year you are able to rear hundred to maturity, you will be making N3 Million from the sales.
If you can take it higher – lets say like 2,000 pigs in year, you will be making upward of N60 Million.
Considering how fast pigs reproduces, it wouldn’t be a very much big deal to come up with 100 pigs in a year.
Then, how do you go about setting up your pig farm?
Below are the important guides;
- Get a Good Farm Land Location : In This Business, i must really emphasize on the fact that location and Land is very important factor, you can not run pig business very well if you don’t have your own land, Pig is not one of those agric business you put up stuffs at the backyard of your house to run, especially in some locations in Nigeria, where certain religion, culture and belief system is against pork meat and Pig, it can be a jeopardy step situating farm land in that kind of a location. For security reasons, more often than not, i use to recommend a rural area, a non-residential place, that is the best kind of place to run your pig business successfully, every livestock needs a clean, cool and quiet place for them to grow and do well, pig is not exempted, a good atmosphere, without air pollution is very important. Pig in itself, against the believe of majority, is a clean animal, but it all depends on how you as the farmer handles it. Getting acres of land in rural is always less expensive and since this is the best location for farming Business, then it is wise for you to consider it for your pig Business.
- Build a Good Housing System : Pigs are can be wild at times, and if you build a wooden cage then you will have to work on it every now and then, which will be surely cumbersome for you, building a good concrete housing system for pig Farming is the best as far as am concern, don’t buy what will affect your business, rather, build what will give you peace always. Cage system like the one above is commonly used in America and some other part of the world where Pig Farming Business is embraced greatly. You might not have the Capital to install this kind of housing system for your pigs in Nigeria, but a good durable pig housing will do your business much good.
- Ensure You Buy Good Piglets and Pig Breeds : This is yet another very important factor you must look into, buying local breeds that are not good resistance to situations like Climate and so can be a bad choice for your business. There are local breeds and there are exotic breeds, based on the one you would love to get, but if you have the money, i do recommend the exotic breeds which can actually be gotten here in Nigeria for a good affordable price. Since, it’s a Livestock reproduction business, breeds and breeding becomes a very important factor that must be put into consideration. Some pig breeds are not healthy, some are always producing small litters, some suffers from still-birth and infertility, all this things as to be looked into and consider before you buy pigs for your business production. Note: You will need the service of an expert in Pig Business and a veterinary Doctor, to monitor your business, growth and the health of your pigs. The truth is, i still consider pig farmers with years of experience in the business as the best, i know a lot of pig farmers who inject their pigs by themselves and the Pigs are doing well, so those are the kind of experts i am talking about, they have researched, went for seminars and consultation and they have also learn from experience, the best practices as regard pig Farming and business management.
- You will need to Employ Workers : Pig Business is a tasking one, you can not do it all alone, you need to employ good hands in your business, those who will always come and do the task like feeding, keeping the farm tidy, fetching water, butchering the animal and all of those must-do in the business. So, if you really want to grow your business to the next level, then you must get people to work for you, it is also essential that you get to work in the morning on time, remember you are the brain behind the smooth running of the business, so you must lead by example, if you want your workers to be effective, you must teach them by your own example. The more your business is running, the more hands you will need in your farm, so make plans and provisions for that before time.
- Feeding and Medication is a Major Success Determinant : Pig feeds on a wide variety of feeds, they eat a whole lot of stuffs and you just have to make their feeds available to them always so as to enable them grow well, attain good weight to attract a reasonable market price. They feed on Corn bran, wheat bran, rice bran, PKC, Offals, Brewery wastes, Kitchen waste (They eat all that human eats), Maize, grains, cereals, legumes, grasses, but for a good growth and and farming Business, where you need your pigs to be doing well, you will need to consult an expert for a good feeding ratio and feed formula, so that you can have a good farm production. Feeding and medication are two major success determinant in pig Farming, they must be well feed, with a good feed formula and ratio; there are various feed formula for lactating pigs, gestating pigs, weaner piglets, boar and sow, breeding stocks are so on, all this must be in place for your business to blossom, also there are various periodical medications for your pigs, some are monthly, some are weekly, they are there to help the pig when they are tired, stressed, weak, sick and to either avert diseases or cure diseases, so you can not overlook proper medication in your Pig Farming BUSINESS.
Pigs, like all animals, must have constant access to clean fresh drinking water. As well as tipping the trough to make a wallow, pigs will also stand in the water trough and wash their dirty faces in it, so it needs to be checked regularly, cleaned out and refilled. Galvanised troughs are robust and easy to clean, and not too easy for the pigs to tip over. Automatic drinkers are available but aren’t half as much fun for the pigs
Put all these in place and you are as good as having started your business. There is nothing a good as being in business you are sure of profit; Pig farming is one of such business. All you need to do is to feed and take care of them. Do that proper and watch them multiply in three fold.
Click here to see other Lucrative Business ideas in the agriculture industry you can start in Nigeria and make good profits in a short while.
Kindly share with friends, if you need good pig breeds or the exotic breeds, you can drop a comment below.